Friday, September 9, 2011

Wubi installer - Neat way to install linux in Windows System

After I had decided to install Linux on my Windows system, I had few options like Debian and Ubuntu. When I tried Debian, the one I had got from "Linux for you" Magazine, I suffered a lot to make it work along with Windows. I had to allocate a different partition for Debian OS and take care of dual boot, etc. Even though I worked in Linux in my college days, I found a lot of hurdles in this process. After that, I had come across the Wubi installer for Ubuntu which makes installation along with existing Windows OS seamless. Believe me, I didn't find any difficulty with installation. It installs in Windows machine as if it were another windows application. It configures itself with boot options. No need to worry about any configurations at all.

Installer can be downloaded from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer.

Even though Wubi claims this particular way of installation may lead to disk access performance hurt, I couldn't find any difficulty at all. This is far better than having linux running in Virtual machine inside Windows OS, an another way to seamlessly work with Windows. This version of Ubuntu is having amazing UI, I would say, comparable with MAC. UI is really intuitive. I just tried IDLE for Python. I would dare say, Linux version of IDLE is far superior than Windows'. I feel like programming a lot now. I will come with some more findings on this.

Thanks a lot for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should look into VirtualBox as well. It is a great way to work with Linux on windows. The other great extra is the snapshot mechanism which is invaluable for a lot of development work. If you do something stupid with the kernel, just blow it away and pick up where you left off with a snapshot. Makes me a lot "braver" when I don't have to be afraid of a kernel panic, or messing up my development virtual image. -D, texas, usa

    ReplyDelete